• One 16 year old’s story (From Everyday Sexism)

‘I’m 16 and have been receiving sexist comments from older boys since I was about 13, in school and out of it. They shout “rape!” if they’re in a group walking down the corridor and see a girl, loudly rate girls out of 10 while we walk past, look at Page 3 and compare girls to it if we walk past, discuss girls’ bodies, it happens literally every day and even worse is girls go along with it and sometimes JOIN IN to impress them. Boys in my year and younger boys make lots of comments obviously spurred on by the older boys. I never wear skirts to school anymore as it’d sometimes get lifted in the lunch queue ..how anyone can say it’s harmless I don’t get! Why can’t the editor of The Sun or a lads mag spend one day in a school and see what girls have to put up with in the culture they help create I challenge them to do it and still think Page 3 or their mag is harmless.’

6 Comments

1. Ros says: March 3, 2013 at 1:33 pmReply

thanks for speaking out. It’s so important and powerful to hear voices like yours. I went to an all girls school so didn’t have this kind of thing going on every day, thank goodness – it makes me feel so sad and angry to think girls are subjected to this from such a young age. I’m so sorry it happened to you.

2. Jules says: March 4, 2013 at 1:21 pmReply

I’m horrified to hear how little has changed since I was at school. I used to get groped constantly, named “juicy jules” or the oh-so-imaginative “jule big tits”.
    Even in university, where the intellectual future of the country hang out, I had page 3 pics pinned to my door with comments saying that was my night job etc.
    Page 3 is hugely damaging. It must go. Well done to the author of this comment for speaking up!

3. Laura says: March 28, 2013 at 7:12 pmReply

I think it’s fantastic what this young girl has started, and come to think about it it should have been done so long ago. It’s become so socially acceptable to have these images in the newspaper, that boys behave this way and noone ever regards it as sexist or something that can potentially damage someone. I used to experience just the same things at school, and even now at university. I’m right behind the campaign!

4. Kishore Mehta says: July 1, 2013 at 7:06 amReply

I’ve read alot of the posts from The Everyday Sexism Project. Re: the behaviour of some boys in school and men in work, you’d think they ought to know better. Great post and it be a challenge worth writing about.

5. johi says: August 1, 2013 at 11:21 amReply

Not like that at my school, and plenty people read the sun etc. No-one I know would do any of those things to a girl – or anything beyond talking abou them like all 16 year olds do!

• andi says: November 20, 2013 at 8:15 amReply

Well you’re lucky. Or rather, the girls who go to your school are lucky. Are you trying to insinuate that this doesn’t happen elsewhere?

Leave a reply.