On November 17th Page 3 will have been a staple part of The Sun newspaper for 43 years
That’s 43 years of objectification, of reducing women to sexual objects for the titillation of men in a mainstream media news publication.
On this day we want to say LOUD AND CLEAR
Calling all no more page 3 supporters!!!!!!!
National weekend of action
Fri 15th – Sun 17th November
Organise your own demonstration in your area, at your University, College etc on one of these days
The idea is to cover as much of the UK as possible that weekend to make some noise and spread the word.
We will be organising demos in (click the links to go to the individual events pages) -
Devon, Totnes (details TBC)
Frome, Saturday 16th – 11am – Market Place
Bath City Centre 11am outside WH Smiths, Saturday 16th
Central London, Sunday 17th Nov at 1pm (click for map)
meet the team on Victoria Embankment opposite the Embankment Tube station and march to Big Ben to call “time” on page 3 (see what we did there?)
If you can get involved post your proposed area on the NMP3 page, comment below or head to the main event page here and rally support
We have an events page here
Keep watching this space as we will post details of all the demonstrations happening as soon as we have them
Your demonstration can take any shape you want it to but the theme is Celebrating Women
Page 3 is sometimes described as being “a celebration of the female” or “the female form”. We think women should be celebrated for all they are and all the amazing things they can achieve not just for their body parts and how much they arouse men.
There might be lots of brilliant ways you can think of to celebrate women whilst demonstrating loudly for No More Page 3 but here are some ideas -
- Perform the No more Page 3 Flash Mob – The Song and Dance are here
- A celebration display board!! – Get members of the public to write down on a sticker what they would like to be celebrated for. Their achievements or talents, big or small. Stick these on a giant board, perhaps with a typical glamour image or a giant pair of cartoon boobs that slowly get covered in all of these great statements
e.g. Lisa, 39 from Nottingham – Has been nursing for 20 years and ran her 1st marathon in 2013!!!
- Have a medal ceremony!! – Make medals and hand them out, with different things on that they want to celebrate about themselves or other women. You could even have an Olympic style podium made of soap-boxes that people can stand on and have their picture taken to make it interactive?
- Organise a No More Page 3 march dressed as your favourite inspiring woman from past or present
- Organise a concert or show full of amazing women performers to celebrate their talent whilst raising awareness about the campaign
- Make cartoon boobs and stick them all over an area, hang them from trees etc. When people ask “why all the boobs” say “we don’t know, you tell us” and then ask them to sign the petition
You may also be able to get some local media coverage for your event to help spread the word even further. Try contacting your local TV, Radio stations and newspapers and ask them along.
Have fun and remember to keep us informed about what you’re up to!!!
Look out for more details on when and where to meet coming soon……